Tuesday, February 20, 2024

A real snow report from Johnny Jay!

 This just in, from those on the ground:

Well, just to provide the real Jay Peak snow report: No three feet of snow in the village but I guess the mountain might have gotten that except that it was on top of a pretty meagre base. It was snowing today and cold. The freshie still on the sides (8-10") was very light and fluffy but the groomers were showing some slick spots. After a few runs with S, who reported some nice turns on Deer Run (better than Interstate or Queens Hwy), I was feeling adventurous so went up the Flyer. After my buddy on the lift reported that Beaver Pond was skied-out, I decided on the old standby of River Kwai or Powerline. On my way towards the top of the Bonnie I figured Powerline -- oops 601 to Mickey -- was a better bet. Packed snow with lots of rock and scrapey moguls. Hard work but in the end the masochist in me enjoyed it. But I am glad I was alone because there were many breaks! Mickey was a 5 out of 10. Anyhoo, it was nice to see the mountain finally 99.9% open (mid Northwest passage closed). 

 Tomorrow I will venture off-piste and provide a glade report.

- Johnny  Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment