Monday, September 21, 2020

Taking "Raised Jay" to the physical level.

I don't need to tell you that the COVID times are strange and weird. There is a lot of uncertainty about the upcoming VT ski season for we Canadians and the temptation of keeping the border closed so we can go heli-sking at half price is pretty high. Not really. It is still very expensive. 

Despite all that, some of are keeping the stoke fired up, and Grampa Grindbar, AKA my great-nephew Jason, is among them. He has decided to celebrate his "raised-Jay" heritage in a permanent way. See image and unexpurgated story below.


By Grampa Grindbar
 
As both a proud Jay Peak Alumni and also Sous Chef a tattoo of something Jay was all but inevitable. On the tattoo side the idea's been kicking arround my brain for several years now but only putting serious thought into it for the last 4-5 months. Perhaps I was subconciously waiting until I became the Sous Chef seeing how most people in my position have more tattoo than skin. Originally I was thinking more on the cook side for my first tattoo but nothing seemed to fit right. Then I started thinking skiing, more and more that started to make sense and I was thinking about what that would end up being. Started as getting my current skis but current era graphics are lame and that didn't seem right. Then i thought about getting my K2 Revivals seeing how I ski'd those for the better part of a decade and would still to this day if I still bombed down Jay. Then finally I landed on jay peak itself. 
 
I started thinking about getting the logo since it's easy to execute, and very meaningful to me and realistically the family as well. Then it became a question of if that was all I would get. Strong contenders went to the logo with "raise em Jay" written around it, Also Laura found a company that did stylised trail maps (I might have done that if it had been very obviously Jay, most likely I would have gotten thousands of questions as to why there were so many lines on my back.) Then came when I would do it. As it turns out never.
 
It took me taking a week off while my friend Josh came over to visit. As we roamed the streets of Victoria he pointed out a cool looking tattoo shop, I (jokingly) asked if they did walk ins, he looked closer and said they in fact did, so knowing I would never do it if I didn't just go in we went in the shop. We went up to the counter, showed them what I wanted done and where and in about an hour I officially became a walkling billboard for the raise em Jay lifestyle. As I write this i still wonder if I should've gotten raise em Jay written on me too. 
 
Before i got in the chair I texted my brother saying I was going to do it, he thought i meant i was making an appointment saying I should get it in the green and blue then was surprised when i texted back saying I did and it hurt. Seeing how most people reading this are my un-tattoo'd family members I will say the first 2 minutes hurt, then it became a nagging annoyance pain. Then 2 days later came the gross part when it started flaking and I was shaking green and blue skin out of my shirt.
 
As with everyone else who gets tattoo'd now I want more and will take suggestions, that said no im not going to get a headshot of Donny on my chest. Stay tuned for when I take the title of Johnny Jay after these alleged Greek trials that are on the way take place.
 
Happy Skiing
 
Johnny Jay Jr/ J-rock/Grampa Grindbar/ Rockpile


1 comment: